Sunday, November 9, 2008

I think that Theo Jansen's creation is a remarkable thing. He combined both of jobs, physicist and artist to create a unique piece of science and art. He calls his creations animari, which use the wind to walk on the beaches. I think that it is a ingenues creation that took a lot of creativity and thought. To me this is more of science then art, and show how many different things the scientific world can do. I don't like how they talk about it as a life form or a species. It is artificially created and doesn't have any characteristics of life. The idea that it will evolve and that these things will compete and take over each others DNA seems very far fetched. His comparison between the pipe lengths and human genetics seems way off as well. Even if it could evolve I wouldn't want it to because I see all life as sacred and we shouldn't be artificially making it. The purpose of art is to create something to get across a specific message. He Theo Jansen is expressing is love of physics showing how smart he is and how science and art can go together.

3 comments:

Gloria said...

I agree with everything you said! I thought it was so weird that he was talking about them like they were living things. I definitely think that this is science and not art also. Great paragraph :]

M. Kay said...

I love how you disagreed with some aspects of the article. The idea of this DNA and the animari taking over another species DNA is extremely far-fetched. Also, how you contradicted how it isn't a life form showed your further interest in the article.

Jeff K said...

I agree that something like this is more science than art. I also agree that the thought that these things will evolve is very far fetched and will probably never happen .Unless Theo plans on having the way he makes these creatures evolve I could see that, but not the creatures them self evolving and absorbing other creatures.