Sunday, November 2, 2008

Community Poem

Like most communities we have the talk,
But yet again, we fail to make the walk.
We say we will help,we say we will give,
But close-minded, selfish, and greedy we live.

Great schools, business, and homes we provide,
But behind these wonderful things we hide.
We say work together, we say act like brothers,
But no one really cares about others.

We use to have a safe place to tick-or-treat,
But now there are many dangers that kids might meet.
We are a place where there used to be care,
But now our people don't understand how to share.

There are still those who do stand strong,
But it is hard to fight all that is wrong.
These few don't talk the talk,
But they sure do walk the walk.

3 comments:

Ibbs said...

I think your poem speaks to the volunteers and kind people that give their time to others. I liked it and think everyone in the class should read it.

fay said...

I think that your poem has a lot of meaning. Even though this poem is negative, I think that your right because there are some communities where people are scared to even step outside their front door. I agree with Ibbs, I think this is something that everyone should read.

Annie said...

I liked your poem because it illustrates how communities have changed over the years. Up to fifty years ago communities were more like Buffalo Creek, West Virginia, before the flood. I hate how it has changed so much. I seems as though people do not want to make the effort to, as you said, help and give to each other. Good job.